Quantum Information and Optics
Quantum Information Processing and Communication has the potential to revolutionize many areas of science and technology:
- it exploits fundamentally new modes of computation and communication, because it is based on the physical laws of quantum mechanics instead of classical physics
- it holds the promise of immense computing power beyond the capabilities of any classical computer
- it guarantees absolutely secure communication
- it is directly linked to emerging quantum technologies.
• Study of fundamental aspects of quantum mechanics and quantum information theory (principles of quantum mechanics – wave-particle dualism, quantum channels etc);
• Study of quantum correlations (entanglement, discord etc) in quantum systems of discrete or continuous variables;
• Study of quantum processing and transmission protocols of quantum information (quantum teleportation, quantum cryptography, quantum computing);
• Application of models and methods of quantum information theory to quantum technologies (quantum imaging etc);
• Study of dissipative phenomena in open quantum systems, role of quantum decoherence in processing and transmission of quantum information.